This list of the best icebreaker questions for work is all you'll ever need. It covers all categories of icebreaker questions like "funny", "good" and "weird."
This list of the best icebreaker questions for work is all you need at your workplace.
We all tend to look for ways to bond with our team and work cohesively to avoid burn-out. This list of icebreaker questions will help you do just that.
Moreover, it’s important is to onboard new team members through some fun team bonding activities, team building questionnaires or icebreaker games.
So here we are, with an incredible list of super fun ice breaker questions for work that will make your team have a lot of fun together. Some other fun games that can help break the ice are Truth or Dare, Never Have I Ever, This or That, Most Likely To, 21 Questions and Two Truths and a Lie.
In this blog, we will cover:
1. If you could choose a theme song that plays every time you enter a room, what would it be?
2. Imagine a sandwich named after you. What ingredients are in it?
3. If you were a kitchen appliance, which one would you be and why?
4. What’s the most interesting thing you’ve seen out of your window at home or work?
5. If you could be any character from a book or movie for just 24 hours, who would you choose and what would you do?
6. What's the most unusual or unexpected item you keep at your workspace or in your bag?
7. If you could only eat foods of one color for a day, what color would you choose?
8. Which famous painting or artwork do you think you most resemble?
9. If you had to teach a class on one thing, what would you teach?
10. If aliens landed on Earth tomorrow and offered to take you home with them, would you go?
11. What’s the most recent “common knowledge” thing you learned that you didn’t know?
12. If you were a ghost, which place would you haunt and why?
13. If you could instantly master any dance style, what would it be?
14. What’s the most bizarre dream you can remember?
15. If you could invent a new holiday, what would it be and how would we celebrate it?
16. if you could choose anyone, past or present, to be your professional mentor, who would it be and why?
17. If you could bring back one past trend or practice from the workplace, what would it be?
18. What's a skill or talent you have that would surprise your colleagues?
19. If your work life was a book, what would the title be?
20. Share one interesting or unexpected item you keep at your desk.
21. For one week, if you could swap jobs with anyone in the company, who would it be and why?
22. If you could have any work-related superpower, what would it be?
23. What’s the most unexpected source of inspiration you’ve found for your work?
24. If you could experience the company at any period in its history, when would it be and why?
25. Which historical figure would you invite to your team meeting and what would you ask them?
26. What’s the most unconventional method you use to relieve stress during a hectic workday?
27. If you could change one thing about your current workspace, what would it be?
28. If there was an extra room in your workplace, what should it be used for?
29. What song best describes your work ethic?
30. If you hadn’t pursued your current career, what different profession might you have tried?
31. Imagine you're an inventor; what kind of device would you invent to make your daily life easier?
32. If you could be a champion in an obscure or unusual sport, what sport would it be?
33. What's an odd combination of flavors you enjoy that others might find strange?
34. If you could have a minor planet named after you, what would you name it?
35. If you could live in any fictional world for a week, which one would you choose and why?
36. What's the most bizarre talent show act you can think of performing?
37. If you were to create a new holiday, what would it celebrate and how?
38. If you could swap places with any character from a children’s book, who would it be?
39. What's the strangest gift you've ever received and actually loved?
40. If you could have any mythical creature as a pet, which one would you choose?
41. Imagine you could design your dream house in any style without any cost constraints, what unique features would it have?
42. If you could compose a soundtrack to your life, what kind of music would be on it?
43. If you had to wear a costume every day for a month, what theme would you choose?
44. If you could teleport to any place in the world for lunch every day, where would you go and what would you eat?
45. If you could instantly pick up a new hobby and be proficient at it, what hobby would you choose?
46. If you were a pizza topping, what would you be and why?
47. What would the title of your autobiography be if it could only be three words?
48. If animals could talk, which species would be the rudest of them all?
49. If you could replace all the grass in the world with something else, what would it be?
50. What's the funniest thing you believed as a child?
51. If you were a ghost, which place would you haunt first?
52. If you had to wear a hat every day for the rest of your life, what kind of hat would it be?
53. If your life was a sitcom, what would be your catchphrase?
54. If you could only use one emoji for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
55. Imagine you’re an infamous villain. What mundane crime would you commit?
56. If you could be any age for a week, what age would you be and why?
57. If you could bring any fictional character to life as your best friend, who would it be?
58. What's the most ridiculous fact you know?
59. If you were a kitchen utensil, which one would you be and why?
60. If your pet could talk, what's the first thing they would say about you?
61. If you could instantly become an expert in any subject, what would it be?
62. What's the most adventurous thing you've ever done?
63. If you could live in any TV show, which one would you choose and why?
64. What's a book or movie that profoundly impacted you?
65. If you could have dinner with any historical figure, who would it be and why?
66. What's an unusual skill or hobby you'd love to learn?
67. If you could teleport to any place right now, where would you go?
68. What's the most interesting piece of trivia you know?
69. If you had a theme song that played whenever you entered a room, what would it be?
70. What's a childhood dream or ambition you still think about?
71. If you could speak any language fluently, which one would you choose?
72. What's your favorite bizarre food combination?
73. If you could have any fictional character's life for a day, whose would you choose?
74. What's the most unusual job you've ever had or heard of?
75. If you could invent something that doesn't currently exist, what would it be?
76. What's a book or movie you recently enjoyed and would recommend?
77. Can you share an unexpected lesson you learned from a past experience?
78. What hobby or activity have you started in the last year?
79. What's a place you've always wanted to travel to and why?
80. Who has been the most influential person in your life?
81. What's your favorite way to unwind after a long week?
82. Can you describe a memorable moment from your childhood?
83. What's the most interesting fact about you that not many people know?
84. What's something you're looking forward to in the next few months?
85. Do you have a favorite local spot you like to visit?
86. Which historical era do you find most fascinating and why?
87. What's an unconventional skill you wish was part of your education?
88. If you had to choose only one book or movie to recommend to everyone, what would it be?
89. What's the most memorable piece of advice you've ever received?
90. If you could witness any fictional event from a book or movie in real life, what would it be?
91. What's a life hack or piece of wisdom you've discovered that you wish you knew earlier?
92. If you could start a podcast on any topic, what would it be about and why?
93. What's one unexpected impact a book, film, or piece of music has had on your life?
94. If you could relive one year of your life, which would it be and why?
95. What's a small decision you made that ended up having a big impact on your life?
96. What's a recent trend you're really into right now?
97. If you could meet any famous person, living or dead, who would it be and why?
98. What's your favorite app on your phone and what do you love about it?
99. What's one thing you want to accomplish by the end of the year?
100. If you could be any character from a movie or TV show for a day, who would you be?
101. What's the best meme you've seen recently?
102. What's your dream vacation destination and why?
103. What's your go-to song when you need to boost your mood?
104. If you could start a new club or group at school, what would it be about?
105. What's the funniest or most embarrassing thing that's ever happened to you?
106. What's the most daring thing you've ever done or want to do?
107. If you could design the ultimate theme park ride, what would it be like?
108. What's a movie or TV show that you think is underrated and deserves more attention?
109. If you could live in a video game world for a day, which one would you choose?
110. What's the funniest or most bizarre trend you've seen recently?
111. What's one work-related skill you'd like to develop, especially if you had the time?
112. Share a fun or unique fact about your hometown.
113. What's your go-to productivity trick or hack when working on a tight deadline?
114. If you could add one thing to the office to improve our workday, what would it be?
115. What was your first job, and what did it teach you that you still use today?
116. What's one recent work achievement you're proud of, big or small?
117. Share one professional goal you have for this year.
118. If you could collaborate with anyone in the company on a project, who would it be and why?
119. What's one book, podcast, or article you've found insightful for your professional life?
120. What's the most interesting thing about your career path so far?
121. If you could introduce a new tradition or event in our workplace, what would it be?
122. What's an achievement or project you're aiming for this year, inside or outside of work?
123. If you could shadow someone in the company for a day, who would it be and why?
124. If you could add one thing to our team or office space to improve our daily work, what would it be?
125. What's one interesting thing you've read or learned recently that could be relevant to our work?
126. If you could be any kitchen utensil, which one would you be and why?
127. What do you think cats dream about?
128. If you had to wear a hat made out of food for a day, what food would you choose?
129. If aliens visited Earth and you were the first person they met, what would you tell them?
130. What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever seen someone do in public?
131. If you could have any mythical creature as your pet, which one would you pick?
132. If your life was a video game, what two power-ups would you have?
133. What’s the most bizarre flavor of ice cream you can imagine?
134. If you could morph two animals to make one super animal, what animals would you choose?
135. What would your strategy be in a zombie apocalypse?
136. If you had to choose a new, unconventional name for yourself, what would it be and why?
137. Imagine you're an explorer discovering a new planet. What's the most bizarre thing you find there?
138. If you could replace all the water in the world with another liquid, what would you choose?
139. What would your dream house be made of if traditional materials were not an option?
140. If you had the power to add a new color to the rainbow, what color would it be and what would you name it?
141. If animals could talk, which one do you think would be the funniest?
142. If you were a superhero, what funny superpower would you have?
143. What's the silliest thing you've ever worn?
144. If you could make up a new school subject, what would it be?
145. What’s the funniest word you know?
146. If you opened a restaurant, what funny food would you serve?
147. If you could be any cartoon character for a day, who would you choose and why?
148. What would you do if you woke up one morning and you were the size of an ant?
149. Imagine a world where animals could drive. Which animal do you think would be the best driver?
150. If you could mix two animals together, what combination would be the funniest?
151. What’s a book or movie that you think everyone should read or watch at least once?
152. If you could have witnessed any event in history, what would it be and why?
153. What’s an unusual skill or hobby you’ve always wanted to learn but haven’t yet?
154. What's the most unexpected way you’ve met a friend or colleague?
155. If you could have a conversation with any fictional character, who would it be and what would you discuss?
156. What’s the most interesting place you’ve been to that is not well-known?
157. What’s a small act of kindness you were once shown that you still remember?
158. What’s the most unusual or unique job you’ve ever had?
159. If you could start a collection of one kind of item, what would it be?
160. What’s a personal rule or principle you never break?
161. If you could be any character from a book or movie for a day, who would you be and why?
162. What would be the title of your autobiography?
163. If you could have any animal as your pet, real or mythical, what would it be?
164. What’s the most interesting thing you’ve seen or done this past week?
165. If you could invent a new school subject, what would it be?
166. What’s your favorite game to play with friends?
167. If you could travel anywhere in the world right now, where would you go?
168. What’s the funniest joke you know by heart?
169. If you could have a superpower just for today, what would it be?
170. What’s one thing you’re really good at, that not many people know about?
171. What's something you're passionate about and why?
172. How do you like to spend your free time, and what does it say about you?
173. What's an important lesson you've learned from a past relationship?
174. What does your ideal life look like five years from now?
175. What are some values you consider non-negotiable in a relationship?
176. What's a challenge you've faced that's shaped who you are today?
177. How do you define success, and do you feel you've achieved it?
178. What's something you've always wanted to do but haven't, and what's stopping you?
179. What's the most meaningful compliment you've ever received and why did it resonate with you?
180. How do you handle conflict, and can you give an example?
181. What's your favorite holiday tradition from your childhood?
182. If you could spend the holidays anywhere in the world, where would it be?
183. What's the best holiday gift you've ever received or given?
184. What holiday movie or song do you never get tired of?
185. If you could create a new holiday, what would it celebrate and how?
186. What's your favorite holiday food or treat that you look forward to each year?
187. Share a funny or memorable holiday mishap or adventure.
188. If you could invite any famous person, past or present, to your holiday dinner, who would it be?
189. What's a holiday activity or event you've always wanted to experience?
190. What does your ideal holiday day look like from morning to night?
191. What life lesson did you learn the hard way?
192. If you could witness any event of the past, present, or future, what would it be?
193. What book or movie had a significant impact on your way of thinking?
194. How do you think your future self will remember your current self?
195. What does 'success' mean to you, and do you feel you've achieved it?
196. If you could solve one world problem, what would it be and why?
197. What’s something you believe that most people don’t?
198. If you could ask advice from any historical figure, who would it be and what would you ask?
199. What's something that most people learn only after it’s too late?
200. If you could have a glimpse into the future, what aspect of your life would you want to see?
201. What would you like to be when you grow up?
202. What was the most unpleasant job you ever had to do?
203. How much is your personal identity and self-worth determined by your job and your success at it?
204. Do you work on weekends, on vacation?
205. Have you ever worked at a resort or in a resort area?
206. Are you a glutton for overwork?
207. If you were financially independent, would you continue to work?
208. Are you a better talker or listener?
209. How much time per day do you devote to yourself?
210. Are you practical or ingenious?
This list of the best icebreaker questions will come in handy whenever you’re looking for a way to connect with your team or just have some fun and laughs. So, be that charming and conversational colleague at your next meet-up and break the silence with these fun icebreaker questions.
Want to get full access to our icebreaker questions or play some icebreaker games on Slack and Microsoft Teams? Try Ricotta on Slack and Microsoft Teams without ever leaving the platform. Simply add Ricotta Trivia to your workspace and see the magic of team bonding take place!
More you'll love by Ricotta:
Here are some frequently asked questions about icebreaker questions that you can refer to.
Icebreaker questions are a simple yet effective way to enhance team dynamics, encourage open communication, and create a more positive and collaborative workplace culture.
Here are some fun icebreaker questions for meetings:
Here are some funny icebreaker questions for get-togethers:
Some good icebreakers for virtual meetings are:
There are many ways to start a meeting and break the ice. You can use icebreakers, games or just make casual jokes. You can also start with an introduction of the participants and what they do in the company. Start with small talk like asking the participants about what they have been up to recently.
It's important to remember that having an open dialogue with your colleagues from time to time always helps, and as long as it's not too formal, you'll be fine!
One of the simplest ways to break the ice when using Zoom is to tell a funny story about yourself.
Here are some sample icebreakers for Zoom:
Check out our blog on zoom icebreakers to get more ideas.
Virtual meetings can get boring and monotonous if you don’t have any fun ways to start them! Here are some ideas on how you can warm up your meetings with these icebreakers:
- Ask people to tell an interesting fact about themselves.
- Play a game like "What's in Your Bag?" or "Random Questions."
- Start with a fun video or gif
- Start the meeting with a video of your team members introducing themselves.
- Ask everyone to share their best work or personal achievement recently.
- Have everyone introduce themselves by sharing their favorite quote.
Here are some good icebreaker questions:
There are many different types of virtual icebreakers that you can use, but here are some of the most common ones:
- Virtual reality tours: These tours allow people to go on an interactive tour through various locations in the world, such as museums, beaches and cities.
- Quizzes: Quizzes can range from simple trivia questions to more complex personality quizzes that will help participants learn about themselves and others.
- The Random Name Generator
In a virtual meeting, introduce yourself uniquely by sharing a fun or unusual fact along with your name and role. For example, "Hi, I'm Alex, the team's graphic designer, and I'm a salsa dancing enthusiast!" This approach adds a personal touch and often sparks engaging conversations.
A virtual icebreaker is usually a short, fun activity that allows you to get to know your workmates without having them all in one place at one time. They can be a great way to break the ice and get the ball rolling.
You can host a virtual icebreaker using any of these tools: Google Hangouts, Skype, Zoom, or Slack.
If you're looking for some ideas on how you can host an effective virtual icebreaker, here are some of our favorites:
If you want more ideas, be sure to check out this article.
To engage employees virtually, use regular video meetings, virtual team-building activities, flexible work policies, and recognize achievements. Encourage collaboration, work-life balance, and provide support.
Try Ricotta Games & Trivia